13.2.13

"Grape de Menthe" by Artist, Sandi Whetzel, Promotes 2013 "Greatest of the Grape"

http://bit.ly/X446UU
Grape de Menthe 30x24 acrylic©Sandi Whetzel
These grapes have earned their stripes, literally. In my quest to capture the interest of grape and wine lovers, I wanted to do something really different and fun with grapes.
The Umpqua Valley WineGrowers liked this painting so much they picked it to promote the "Greatest of the Grape" gala event March 2, 2013.

I liked this sketch of a cluster of grapes because it had so many different shapes of grapes; some round and some showing off the oblong side views of grapes.

I decided to paint the background of large violet stripes even before I knew how I would render the grapes. After a while it became apparent that the grapes could be striped as well. I finally resorted to using a magic marker to stripe a chicken egg so that I could observe what would happen to the stripes on it when I viewed it from various angles. As a result, each grape assumes its own personality.

The grapes situated in the rear of the cluster recede because I used cooler colors to set them back. The grapes take on even more dimension with the addition of shadows cast below them and a warm, golden light at the top of the grapes exposed to direct sunlight.

It was a challenge to come up with a title for this painting. The striped grapes reminded me of mint candies. Then I remembered that there is a liqueur, creme de menthe, that is a sweet, mint-flavored alcoholic beverage. It was fitting that these striped minty grapes destined for wine lovers should be called "Grape de Menthe". It was fun and challenging to dream up this new fun twist on grapes.  
A hand-embelllished giclee reproduction of Grape de Menthe on gallery wrapped canvas will be auctioned off to the highest bidder at the "Greatest of the Grape" event.

For event and ticket information visit .  To see more of Sandi's art and to order reproductions on paper, gallery wrap canvas, metal or on acrylic film, plus art greeting cards, visit her new website .

No comments: